Eligibility to a Facility

If you’re thinking about moving into an aged care home that is subsidised by the Australian Government, the first step is to organise a free assessment with an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT).

An ACAT usually includes a doctor, nurse, social worker and/or other health professionals who will assess whether you are eligible to receive care and which services you need. If you need planned or emergency residential respite care, an ACAT will also assess your eligibility.

An ACAT can:

  • give you information about aged care homes in your area
  • assess and approve your eligibility for an aged care home
  • help you arrange residential respite care, like short stays in aged care homes, if needed
  • answer any other questions you might have about the different types of aged care homes.

If you are not eligible for residential care, an ACAT may be able to suggest other options so you can receive the care you need. For example, you may be eligible to receive some help at home.

Click here to search for a residential care facility.